Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Bah, humbug!

'Tis the festive season to be jolly. Presents all around, food, more presents, family, more food, and such. EVERYONE'S HAPPY.

But I'm not.

'Tis also the season to make money.
Don't get me wrong, but seriously. Companies take advantage of this holiday commemorating the birth of the Sun God (yes) to turn it into one big advertising opportunity. Now, I'm not blaming their strategic thinking and marketing schemes, but it's really gone too far. Giant clay Santas everywhere, sparkly stuff, tinsle, ornaments, christmas trees, ALL store bought.

AND THE SALES. CHRIST. The crowds are suffocating, noisy children everpresent, IT JUST PISSES ME OFF. The kids, people, sales, I HATE IT.

Guess you could call me the modern day scrooge. XD

But I don't mind the presents, and the food, the parties and the company. But it's the mindless consumerism and material gluttony that turns me off. People shouldn't buy things just for the sake of buying them. Things are purchased with excuses like "Oh, they're presents for..." and "But they're so cheap!" And half of them don't get given away, or used often. It's just because of the "Christmas Sales" that make them so appealing to the Singaporean. It's our way of life. Well, I, for one, apparently no longer harbor any desire to live that way anymore, judging from my take on these "festive" things.

Maybe I've fallen out of love with the holiday cheer. Grown out of it? Hahaha, I wouldn't waste time thinking about THAT. After all, it only happens once a year!

Merry Christmas everyone!
xoxo
Bex

Posted by Rebecca @ 7:33 PM